After finding out we were having a boy, we had to start turning a room into a nursery. The obvious choice was our guestroom. I spent countless hours going through Pinterest boards and googling pictures of nurseries, deciding how I wanted to decorate our little one’s room.
The room was currently yellow – a color I had chosen years before. The yellow was bright and sunshiney, but it was ready for a change.
The furniture was ready for a change as well. It was odds and ends from flea markets and leftovers from our college days.
It was certainly time to makeover the guestroom, converting it to a beautiful baby nursery.
Making Plans for the Nursery
The carpet was already turquoise, so the plan needed to revolve around that.
After much consideration, I decided to paint the walls gray. I know that sounds crazy – who paints their nursery gray?! But, I had a vision.
The fourth wall, the longest one, was going to be striped with a lighter/whitish gray. This wall was opposite the mirrored closet doors, so the reflection of the stripes in the doors would make the small room appear larger.
The furniture would be all white, and I would work in more turquoise in other areas – pillows, blankets, and baskets.
Here’s the before (from quite a few years prior) and after pictures:
Two of my sisters offered to paint the room since I was pregnant. They had already made a bet on whether we were having a boy or a girl.
PK put her money on a boy, due to the fact that everyone’s first-born in our family had been boys, and Bridget said a girl to go along with the bet. Whoever lost the bet bought the paint 🙂
Ash was thrilled with this hands-off project because he had more time for other things – like putting together all that nursery furniture!
Just to give a little background – PK, my fact-loving, detail-oriented sister had never painted a room before – let alone done any house project other than some light dusting.
Bridget, on the other hand, designs movie sets for a living and can pretty much do everything. She is a hard-worker, a great delegator, and very goal-oriented.
Accordingly, she gave PK the responsibility of planning out the stripes, putting PK’s meticulous nature to good use, while she got started on the rest of the room.
Painting the Stripes
We planned to do nine, thick alternating stripes, aiming for the stripes to start and end in the base color – the darker gray.
PK started with the laser level and masking tape with the plan to do two rounds of masking tape, painting the darker stripes first.
After that dried, she did another round of masking tape for the lighter stripes. It was more time-consuming this way, but paint wasn’t wasted.
The laser level made putting on the masking tape rather simple. It hooked onto the wall very easily, so there was no ruler, pencils, or any other contraptions involved – just a little patience 🙂
Here’s the initial tape job, leaving everything outside the boxes to be painted with the base color.
Painting the Window Trim
After the room was painted with the base color, the wooden window trim stood out like a sore thumb. It screamed to be painted white.
This is a prime example of how one project can turn into another; however, the end result made it worth all the effort they put in!
Below the window trim is now painted white, the second round of masking tape is on the striped wall, and the lighter stripes are now painted.
It was all coming together nicely.
Sisters & Stripes in the Nursery
I forgot to mention one thing about my sisters – they love Frozen…. and they were painting the nursery right around the time when the soundtrack came out.
Yes, they are in their 20s, but they love that movie – the funny sidekicks, the catchy songs, and of course the fact that it’s about sisters.
As they were painting, they blasted the soundtrack over and over… and over again. This was probably the point where Ash wished he painted the room himself – just kidding…
I, on the other hand, was actually disappointed I couldn’t help. However, I did enjoy the extra time to catch up on the Real Housewives with my buddy Zeus.
Here’s PK and her awesome stripes. Not bad for her first time painting!
Other than cleanup, the room was done. The accent wall looked perfect!
Looks like all that singing, I mean painting, paid off.
My sisters were thrilled to be able to help out with the nursery, PK received some real world lessons, Ash and I got something checked off our growing to do list without lifting a finger, and our little one was about to get a beautiful nursery.
We loved the grays of the nursery. If you are looking at turning a room into a nursery, definitely consider neutral colors. They are easy to work with and can be easily accentuated.
Furnishing the Nursery
For every piece of furniture, we carefully read reviews – especially for the changing table and the crib. The crib and glider chair were from Babies R Us. We used coupons that came in the mail.
The changing table was from Wayfair, and the lamp was a Target find.
I made the pillows with leftover fabric from the curtains. I also made the storage bins for under the changing table. The storage bins were made from contact paper and cardboard boxes.
The nursery was such a sweet little room – perfectly made over. After we moved, the new owners fell in love with the room as well, using it for their nursery too 🙂